Last Monday I introduced a new blog series containing a set of weekly action items. The aim is to inspire attorneys who are stuck at home to use their downtime wisely and productively in a way that will position their firms for success when life and business get back to normal (whether the old normal or a new one).
This is week-two.
I urge you to use this time productively. As lawyers, we have not only the ability, but the obligation to lead through the COVID-19 crisis and aftermath. Doing so will not only serve your clients and your community, but will help position your firm for success for years to come.
My suggestions are mostly around marketing, though at times I’ll throw in other suggestions as well, mostly having to do with the business of running a law firm. Take what’s useful to you, and discard the rest. The important thing is that you’re showing up and putting in the work for yourself, your firm, your family and your community.
This week’s legal marketing challenge:
So let’s get started with this week’s to-do list. For the week of April 6, 2020, I challenge you to do the following to ensure the future success of your law firm:
1. Write 4 Blog Posts: Write and publish to your firm’s website at least 4 blog posts, of at least 750 words each on topics relevant to your clients or potential clients. You can write these all at once, or space them out over the week. In at least one of your blog posts, find a tie-in to link out to one of the blog posts you did last week (if applicable), and to at least one health or financial resource outside of your firm that is relevant to your clients and potential clients during the COVID-19 crisis. If you are a LawLytics customer and want help with logistics or topic selection, let us know.
2. Do 4 Social Media Shares Per Post: With each blog post, announce the post to a minimum of the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. If you’re a LawLytics customer, the ability to do this automatically is built into your blog publishing window. If you need help with this, or want to make sure that your social media accounts are integrated and currently connected, please let us know. Assuming everything is connected, the announcements will take about a total of about one extra minute for LawLytics customers.
3. Read 10 Blog Posts by Other Attorneys: Pick 10 blog posts to read this week. This will give you an idea of what others are writing about and how they are writing. There’s no better fodder for one’s own blogging than reading other blogs. Note that not all examples you come across will be good examples, so read with a critical eye and ask yourself who is the post’s target audience, and is the attorney/author effectively communicating their message? If you’re a LawLytics customer, you can easily discover what fellow customer firm’s are writing using the built-in LawLytics Network. Take notes when you get ideas from others’ blog posts. This should take about an hour total.
4. Post 1 Blog Comment: Of the 10 blog posts that you read, pick one that is most relevant to your practice (but try to avoid picking a direct competitor), and write a thoughtful comment that adds to the information presented in the blog post. When your comment is published, it will create one additional point of exposure for you and your firm. It will reinforce the authority of the blog owner (because another intelligent attorney left a comment). It will also put you on the radar of the owner of that blog, which can create cross-marketing and referral opportunities (more on these things soon). If you’re a LawLytics customer and you discover a blog post that you’d like to comment on in the LawLytics Network, you can comment directly in the LawLytics Network to save the time of entering your information directly on their blog, and, when approved by the blog owner, your post will go live and contain a small picture of you and a link to your bio on your primary LawLytics website. This should take no more than about 30 minutes, and could take you as little as a few minutes depending on the depth of your comment.
5. Bonus 1: Watch to this webinar on demand. The topic is your time productively during the crisis if you haven’t already. No registration necessary. Just click on the link and watch.
6. Bonus 2: If you’re a LawLytics member attend this week’s Wednesday Mastermind session live and come with a question or topic suggestion. If you’re not yet a LawLytics Member, attend this live webinar on how to start or improve your law firm’s website this Thursday.
That’s it! If you can spare an extra few hours this week to get started, you’ll be taking your firm in a positive direction by creating marketing infrastructure that will continue to pay dividends for years to come. Check back next Monday for another weekly legal marketing challenge. Until then, stay safe, stay healthy, stay positive and use this time you have productively.